Job Title: Senior Director, Academic Employee Relations
Job ID: 25366
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3306/1
Department: University Personnel
Classification: Administrator III
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please visit sjsu.edu/up.
About the Position
Under the general direction of the Senior Associate Vice President for University Personnel, the Senior Director, Academic Employee Relations provides San José State University with experienced, collegial, academically-focused leadership in the development and administration of personnel procedures for Unit 3 (faculty, librarians, coaches, counselors) and Unit 11 (TAs, GAs, and ISAs) as determined by requirements of Collective Bargaining Agreements, policies of SJSU, the CSU, and appropriate state and federal statutes. The incumbent provides oversight to the employee relations processes for Units 3 and 11 and performs investigations pursuant to campus policies and CSU Executive Orders. The position will ensure timely compliance to policy and procedures outlined in federal, state, campus and CSU policies.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in strategic and organizational planning related to budget, staffing, organization and development.
- Act on behalf of the Senior Associate Vice President in his or her absence.
- Oversee administration of the collective bargaining agreements for Unit 3 (Faculty) and Unit 11 (Academic Student Employees);
- Provide regular training for staff, department chairs, and administrators on the CBAs and policies pertaining to Faculty and ASEs;
- Interpret, develop, and/or disseminate policies related to academic personnel issues such as discipline, recruitment, leaves of absence, immigration, faculty evaluations including range elevation and retention, tenure, and promotion. Provides expert advice regarding these personnel issues to the Sr. AVP and other administrators as well as staff where appropriate;
- Investigate, hear, and prepare responses to grievances in compliance with CBAs;
- Liaise with colleagues in UP, Office of General Counsel, Chancellor’s Office, divisions, departments/colleges, and the California Faculty Association and UAW on academic personnel matters;
- Manage professional staff in the investigation, analysis and implementation of academic employee relations matters including immigration as it relates to faculty.
- Conduct investigations for professional misconduct as necessary;
- Working in conjunction with Title IX Office serve as Deputy Title IX Coordinator, conduct investigations and prepare reports pursuant to CSU Executive Orders with focus on Title IX complaints concerning Faculty.
- Serve as a representative on campus and/or system-wide committees as assigned;
- Participate in the preparation/review of mandated reports/responses to the CSU, WASC, and other internal and external agencies (EEOC, DFEH, OCR) as assigned;
- Serve as work lead for staff assigned to processing grievances, immigration and/or other processes related to Faculty and/or ASEs.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Throughout the year San Josť State University posts all full and part-time faculty and administrative and professional staff job openings on www.AcademicCareers.com
For additional information about these job openings please see our full job postings on
Jobs at San José State University
Please follow the application instructions as included in our specific job postings.
Equal Opportunity Employer.