The Department of Animal Sciences at Auburn University (www.auburn.edu) is seeking applications for the position of Professor of Practice – Livestock Judging Coach. The position is twelve-month, non-tenure track. The successful candidate will have a 100% instruction appointment. Instructional needs will be based on current existing and future courses aimed at preparing livestock judging teams and as well as other departmental instructional needs based on the applicant’s area of expertise. The projected start date is May 1 to July 1, 2021.
Responsibilities: The individual will be expected to develop a competitive, nationally recognized, instructional program focused on livestock evaluation. The successful candidate will develop and maintain recruitment strategies of transfer students, and on campus students for participation in nationally recognized judging and evaluation contests. The candidate will be expected to recruit and supervise a graduate student Assistant Livestock Judging Coach utilizing a competitive graduate student stipend that is provided. The candidate will be expected to collaborate with existing faculty, and staff in the College of Agriculture, Alabama Cooperative Extension System and stakeholders of the program. The development of collaborative relationships with others across state and regional boundaries as a national program is built and maintained is expected. The successful candidate will be a member of the Department of Animal Sciences faculty and contribute extensively to expansion of applied learning experiences.
Minimum qualifications include: 1) Masters or PhD in Animal Science or closely related field at the time employment begins; 2) experience with teaching livestock evaluation and selection as well as carcass evaluation; 3) documented livestock coaching experience at the collegiate level (junior and/or senior college); 4) demonstrated ability to teach college-level courses and/or to mentor undergraduate students. Candidates must possess strong written and oral communication skills. Appointees in the Professor of Practice series are distinguished professionals who have significant depth of practical experience, may be distinguished as leaders in a professional field and can better enable students and faculty to succeed in their respective roles. The successful candidate must meet eligibility requirements for work in the United States at the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the term of employment. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with background and experience. An attractive benefit package is available.
Desired Criteria: 1) demonstrated success in development and program financial support for a collegiate judging program; 2) experience in recruitment and retention of high school, and collegiate judging team participants; 3) strong network within production agriculture to provide evaluation experiences to judging team participants; 4) demonstrated and recorded experience judging livestock shows; 5) member of the collegiate livestock coaches association; 6) experience with academic and career planning assistance
Information and Application Process Instructions
- Auburn University is one of the nation’s premier public land-grant institutions. For 23 consecutive years, Auburn has been ranked among the best of both public and private universities. In 2020, it was ranked 40th among public universities by U.S. News and World Report. An R1 institution, Auburn maintains high levels of research activity and high standards for teaching excellence, offering Bachelor’s, Master’s, Educational Specialist, and Doctoral degrees in agriculture and engineering, the professions, and the arts and sciences. Its 2020 enrollment of 30,737 students includes 24,505 undergraduates and 6,232 graduate and professional students. Organized into thirteen academic colleges and schools, Auburn’s 1,426 faculty members offer more than 200 educational programs. The University is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, positive work environment, student engagement, and beautiful campus. Auburn University is understanding of and sensitive to the family needs of faculty, including dual-career couples. For details, visit the following link: http://www.auburn.edu/academic/provost/facultyjobs/.
Application Instructions: Applicants must apply for this position by visiting the link: http://www.auemployment.com/postings/20128 and attach the following:
1. Cover letter that addresses the experience pertinent to the position’s responsibilities
2. Current curriculum vita,
3. Statement of competitive coaching accomplishments (Listing teams, individuals, and awards/placings) (upload into Other documentation)
4. Statement of teaching philosophy
5. Statement of coaching philosophy (upload into other documentation (2))
When prompted during the on-line process, please provide the names, email addresses and phone numbers for three (3) professional references. Only completed application materials will be considered. To ensure consideration for the position, applicants are encouraged to apply by January 1, 2021. The search may continue until the position is filled. Questions about this position should be directed to Dr. Jason Sawyer, Search Committee Chair, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 254-485-2992
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN EEO/VET/DISABILITY EMPLOYER
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Dr. Jason Sawyer
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.UniversityJob.com. Thank you.
Dr. Jason Sawyer
Send your resume for this job...
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...