University of Pikeville seeks an innovative and forward-thinking Dean to lead the Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine (KYCOM) in Pikeville, Kentucky. KYCOM is ranked second among all D.O. and M.D. granting medical schools in the U.S. for graduates entering primary care residencies. Since 1997, KYCOMís guiding principle has always been to educate physicians to serve underserved and rural areas, with an emphasis on primary care. Nestled in the beautiful Appalachian Mountains near a growing regional hospital, KYCOMís graduates are well prepared to enter high-quality and rigorous graduate medical education residencies.
Approximately 550 medical students, 30 full-time faculty, and a variety of clinical partners are part of the KYCOM team. The next Dean will be a relationship-builder and focus on strategic planning, maintaining current compliance and accreditation standards, analyzing and updating curriculum, faculty development, and overall student performance and satisfaction. The Dean reports to the Provost and is a position that has wide-ranging responsibilities requiring knowledge of academic affairs, student development, student services, policy and compliance, and outcomes assessment, with the objective of supporting the institution and graduate/health professional students through development and implementation of higher education best practices.
The position requires extensive interaction with the Dean of the Kentucky College of Optometry (KYCO) and other leaders within the University's broader academic programs, including the Deans of the College of Arts and Sciences, Coleman College of Business, and the College of Nursing and Human Services.
- Ensure the mission of KYCOM is accomplished.
- Lead a group of Assistant and Associate Deans in addition to serving as the leader, advocate, and change agent for KYCOM.
- Collaborate with University leadership to effectively manage KYCOM.
- Administer the preparation of materials and documentation required for continued accreditation of the college by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) and other accrediting agencies.
- Engage in strategic planning to foster program improvement and opportunities for program growth.
- Lead and continue to expand KYCOMís service outreach initiatives and partnerships throughout Appalachia.
- Champion faculty development, grant writing, and scholarly activities within KYCOM.
- Oversee recruiting and retaining highly qualified KYCOM faculty, staff and students.
- Lead an analysis exploring the viability of a secondary KYCOM campus and, if indicated, lead the development of the campus.
- Represent the university well in all public and private settings.
- Support the Graduate Health Professions Student Affairs unit and advocate for KYCOM students to ensure they receive the support required to succeed academically. †
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to design, lead, and implement strategies to support the academic needs of students as they complete their graduate/health professional studies.
- Collaborate with Kentucky College of Optometry (KYCO) and the College of Nursing and Human Services (CNHS) in serving the health needs of the local and regional community.
- Lead basic medical education through jointly appointed faculty with the Kentucky College of Optometry (KYCO). †
- Serve as a liaison with outside professional organizations.
- Collaborate with or serve on various professional schools committees.
- Other responsibilities assigned by the Provost.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
This position requires daily contact with co-workers, student workers, supervisor, college personnel, students, and alumni. These relationships are maintained through email, telephone, written, and person-to-person contact.
Additional responsibilities include representing the graduate and health professional programs at public events, university-wide student services meetings, and on both temporary and standing committees.
Supervise the Deanís Administrative Assistant, Assistant and Associate Deans in the Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- Normal office environment
- Some evening and weekend hours are required
- May spend extended periods at terminal, on telephone, or operating other office machines, requiring eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity
- In employment, as in education, University of Pikeville is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer
The University of Pikeville offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. UPIKE offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, telemedicine, long term disability, tuition waivers, a 403(b) retirement plan, and HSA, FSA, and dependent care accounts. UPIKE also offers a generous holiday schedule and paid leave program.
Resumeí and other application materials will be reviewed to determine if you meet the required qualifications for the position. If it is determined that you meet the required qualifications, your application materials will be used to identify a top group of the most highly qualified candidates. Please, specifically address the qualifications, competencies and desired qualifications in your resumeí and application materials.
The University of Pikeville is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history.
The University of Pikeville is an equal opportunity employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. The University of Pikeville does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age or disabilities in its programs, activities, hiring, or the admission of students. Inquiries may be directed to the University of Pikeville Title IX Coordinator by calling 606-218-5344.
For more information about the University of Pikeville, please visit http://www.upike.edu. Interested applicants should complete the online application by visiting https://jobs.upike.edu. In addition to the application, interested applicants are requested to attach to their application a letter of interest, current resumeí, copies of their transcripts, and the contact information for three to five professional references.
Apply Here: https://jobs.upike.edu/
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Pikeville and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com