General Position Description
Responsible to the Director of Admissions, the Admissions Counselor participates in all the recruitment activities of the Admissions Office, including: promoting the university through high school visits, college fairs, and programs held on campus; reviewing applications as part of a holistic, rolling selection process; and maintaining regular and timely contact with assigned prospective students and families. The ideal candidate will be an office leader on recruiting underrepresented student populations, including first generation students. This position will require frequent travel (0-5 hours from campus) and occasional weekends and overnights.
Some of the major responsibilities include:
- Responsible for all areas of territory management within a given geographic area: building relationships with high schools, guidance counselors and community partners; visiting high schools and attending college fairs to meet prospective students and families; assisting students from assigned area throughout the admissions process.
- Participate in the success of other on-campus recruitment programs (i.e., Open House Programs, Financial Aid Programs, Accepted Students' Day programs, etc.)
- Participate in the review and evaluation of applicants for admission to the university.
- Conduct individual interviews with prospective students and their parents.
- Along with other Admissions Officers, work as a team player to develop and implement new strategies to attract sufficient applicants.
- Assist other team members where applicable, including covering areas or duties not initially assigned.
- Assist with general administrative responsibilities for the Admissions Office.
- Keep current on all aspects of MSMU, especially academic, social, religious, and athletic programs and events.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Admissions.
- Work as recruiter for underrepresented student populations and first generation students.
- Remain current on best practices for working with first generation students.
- Sit on various campus committees and groups dedicated to supporting students of color, first generation students and other non-traditional populations.
This is a full-time, entry level position with full benefits and annual, holiday and sick leave. The university offers a generous benefits package, including tuition remission for graduate and undergraduate classes at Mount St. Mary’s University, retirement program with a match as well as a generous paid time off schedule. Competitive salary commensurate to experience.
The appointed individual will:
- Have a bachelor's degree with good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be able to relate to and work well with a variety of people, and to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Articulate the values of a liberal arts education in the Catholic tradition.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Bilingual (Spanish preferred)
- A minimum of 2 year background in Higher Education Admissions or Student Affairs
Ways to Apply
Applicants are requested to submit a resume and cover letter with three letters of recommendation to:
Mount St. Mary’s University
Department of Human Resources
Admissions Counselor/Multicultural Recruiter Search
16300 Old Emmitsburg Rd.
Emmitsburg, MD 21727
Or email resume materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mount St. Mary's University is a dynamic, Catholic, liberal arts university in Emmitsburg, Maryland with over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students. As a Catholic university, Mount St. Mary’s graduates ethical leaders who are inspired by a passion for learning and lead lives of significance in service to God and others. EOE.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Mount St. Mary's University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com