The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department (https://ceen.byu.edu/) at Brigham Young University seeks applications from highly qualified candidates for two full-time positions in continuing-faculty-status tracks. Located in a new engineering building equipped with state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratories, the department benefits from a strong university-wide focus on mentored research for both graduate and undergraduate students, generous annual capital equipment and supplies funding, exceptional teaching resources available through the Center for Teaching and Learning (https://ctl.byu.edu/), acclaimed international study abroad programs, and impactful research programs with extensive external funding. With high admissions standards, the university attracts stellar students who excel in their studies and become leaders in their respective disciplines; impressively, the ASCE student chapter has received the Robert Ridgway Award eight times, twice in the last 5 years.
The mission of the department is to provide a world-class education in all disciplines within civil engineering. The successful candidate must demonstrate her or his ability to contribute to this overall mission through high-quality teaching, mentorship, and a focused research agenda. Areas of interest include (but are not limited to):
- Applications of artificial intelligence and big data
- Sustainable systems, including hazard mitigation and resilient design and construction
- Large-scale predictive modeling, design, and/or testing of geotechnical, structural, environmental, transportation, or hydrological systems
- Innovative construction materials and methods
- Advanced materials characterization techniques
- Teaching both undergraduate and graduate courses primarily in the area of expertise
- Developing a strong, externally funded research program wherein both graduate and undergraduate students are mentored and research results are published in top journals
- Making significant contributions to professional societies and the engineering profession as well as participating in service opportunities within the department, college, and university
Initial rank will be consistent with qualifications and experience. An earned doctorate in civil engineering or in a closely related field is required. Candidates must have a strong commitment to BYU and its mission (http://aims.byu.edu/). Successful candidates will have a robust research focus and excellent teaching skills.
Brigham Young University is an equal opportunity employer. All faculty are required to abide by the University Honor Code and Dress and Grooming Standards. Preference is given to qualified candidates who are members in good standing of the affiliated church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Doctorate in Civil Engineering or closely related field
The required degree must be completed by the start date