Thiel College, an independent residential college located in northwestern Pennsylvania offering bachelor’s and master’s degree programs, is conducting a national search for its next Vice President for Finance and Administration (VPFA) to replace the respected incumbent who is retiring after more than eight years in the position. Dating back to 1866, Thiel is a college on the move. It has recently completed a $65 million campaign; has growing enrollment, new academic programs and dynamic leadership.
As a member of the President’s Cabinet, the VPFA is the institution’s chief financial and operating officer, s/he provides financial leadership to the campus community and collaborates with members of the President’s Cabinet to accomplish strategic priorities. Reporting to the President, the VPFA supervises finance and account services functions, human resources, physical plant and facilities, information technology, and contracted services. In addition, the VPFA works closely with the Vice President for Enrollment Management to oversee the financial aid budget and strategy, and is the administrative liaison to the Board of Trustees’ Finance, Facilities, Investment and Audit committees.
The College seeks a new vice president who is relentlessly positive with very high standards, who is comfortable being both strategic and hands-on. The VPFA:
- Serves as adviser to the President on matters of finance and general administration.
- Makes recommendations to the President and Cabinet regarding fiscal and operating policies and procedures.
- Works with the President and Cabinet to advance the College’s strategic goals, allocates budgets to various campus activities, and implements a budget oversight and reporting system aligned with those goals.
- Coordinates the development of the annual budget, including multi-year financial projections for planning purposes and special analyses and reports.
- Advances the strategic use of technology and oversees Information Technology Services.
- Provides strategic direction to the College’s human resources operations, including the College’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Manages capital projects and oversees the facilities and equipment of the College, including the physical and mechanical infrastructure, custodial services, furnishings, construction and renovation, and sanitation.
- Serves as the lead person on risk management matters, auditing, insurance, and procurement.
- Serves as a member of the President’s Cabinet and as co-chair, with a faculty member, of the Institutional Planning and Budget Committee.
- Represents the College in local, state, and national professional organizations and establishes linkages with appropriate local, regional, and state resources and agencies and public groups.
- Performs other professional and administrative duties assigned by the President.
In addition to the duties and responsibilities specific to the role of the VPFA, successful leadership at Thiel requires a commitment to the College’s mission and vision, participation in the academic, athletic, and artistic life of the campus, and interaction with the Greenville community. Understanding of, and respect for, the concept and process of shared governance in academia, the highest integrity in all actions, and clear, consistent communication with all constituencies also are critical to success at Thiel.
Opportunities and challenges include:
- Continue the Momentum to Increased Financial Stability
- Maintain and Build a Team
- Review and Upgrade Processes and Technology
- Enhance Customer Service
- Communicate Clearly and Transparently to All Constituencies
The successful candidate will demonstrate unquestioned integrity, be an outstanding communicator, a strategic thinker and possess strong and effective interpersonal skills that engender trust and cultivate collaboration. S/he will be an exceptional financial and administrative leader with superior analytical and management skills as well as experience in the use of financial management systems and a willingness to explore new and creative opportunities for ensuring the College’s financial health. The successful candidate will be an excellent manager, be adept at managing multiple priorities simultaneously, be entrepreneurial in spirit, willing to think outside the box, take prudent risks and promote a culture dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The new vice president will have an appreciation for the College’s close ties to its region coupled with experience creating partnerships with business and/or nonprofit organizations. S/he will understand the higher education landscape, shared governance and the challenges that higher education is currently facing. S/he will be able to understand and negotiate complex financial transactions and will have the ability to achieve goals using influence and negotiation skills. The successful candidate will have the fortitude to make difficult choices when necessary and the ability to convey decisions with clarity. The new VPFA will be a human-centered, compassionate leader who will be adept at and enjoy collaborating with the community.
The new vice president will be knowledgeable about the critical areas in the portfolio and will have experience working with boards of trustees. S/he will have at least ten years of progressively increasing experience in the finance area, managing a large staff with diverse responsibilities. Higher Education experience is highly desirable as well as experience in business, non-profits and/or other sectors. A bachelor’s degree is required with a CPA, MBA or other advanced degree preferred. For complete information about the College and the position, please refer to the prospectus.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Nominations and Application Process
Nominations and applications are invited for this position. Review of applications will begin immediately. Candidate material received by March 24 will be assured full consideration although recruitment will continue until an appointment is announced. Applications (including a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of four references) must be uploaded at: http://lapovsky.hiringthing.com. Lapovsky Consulting is assisting Thiel College in this search. For nominations, questions, or additional information, please contact Lucie Lapovsky at 917-690-1958.
Nondiscrimination Policy: Thiel College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sex, sexual orientation, religious belief, national origin, ethnicity, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran status, age, or disability as those terms are defined under applicable law. This policy of nondiscrimination applies in connection with admission to and participation in all programs and activities sponsored by Thiel College and to all employment practices of Thiel College.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Thiel College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.UniversityJob.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...