Auburn University Libraries seeks an energetic and user-centered professional to guide and direct the services of the Cary Veterinary Medical Library. This individual will assist in implementing best practices and innovative and adaptive strategies to support Auburn University’s excellent teaching and growing research enterprise as a recently designated R1 institution with very high research activity. Reporting to the Dean of Libraries, the Head of Veterinary Medical Library will be responsible for administrative and operational oversight of the Cary Veterinary Medical Library as well as to establish and maintain effective partnerships with the academic departments in the College of Veterinary Medicine and other related academic units. See https://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/academic-departments/ for more information about the College’s academic programs. Central to this position is innovative and effective liaison services to the researchers, faculty, and students in the College of Veterinary Medicine as well as other faculty of Auburn University. This twelve- month tenure-track faculty position requires professional and scholarly activity as well as service on library and university committees.
- Develop, manage, and evaluate the collections, programs, spaces, and services of the Cary Veterinary Medical Library.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate staff and student assistants in the Veterinary Medical
- Select materials to support research and teaching in the College of Veterinary Medicine; coordinate collection development policies and strategy with the Libraries’ Collections Strategist and serve as member of the Collection Development Group.
- Maintain effective service environments, both physical and virtual, including reference and research consultation, and library instruction.
- Serve as liaison to the College of Veterinary Medicine for outreach activities and engagements to faculty, staff, and students.
- Coordinate research support services and activities with the Libraries’ Assistant Dean for Technology and Research Support; serve as a member of the Libraries’ Research Support & Partnership Working Group.
- Work with faculty and other campus groups to increase the Library’s presence in new digital learning environments.
- Serve as a member to the Libraries’ Leadership Group.
- As a member of the Libraries Faculty, serve the University, contribute to the profession, and engage in professional development.
- Some night and weekend duty may be required.
SALARY / BENEFITS: Starting salary of $65,000; the rank and salary will be commensurate with experience/qualifications. This is a twelve-month tenure-track library faculty position. Benefits include 20 days of vacation leave/12 days of sick leave per year; participation in State Teachers' Retirement System (mandatory); additional voluntary retirement plans available; health/dental/life/disability insurance.
Auburn University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL), Hathi Trust, Coalition for Networked Information (CNI), and other organizations of academic institutions. The Libraries completed a strategic plan in alignment with the Auburn University Strategic Plan which is available at: https://www.lib.auburn.edu/strategicplan/AUL_Strategic_Plan_2019-24.pdf.
Auburn University is one of the nation’s premier public land-grant institutions. In 2020, it was ranked 44th among public universities by U.S. News and World Report. Auburn maintains high levels of research activity and high standards for teaching excellence, offering Bachelor’s, Master’s, Educational Specialist, and Doctor’s degrees in agriculture and engineering, the professions, and the arts and sciences. Its 2019 enrollment of 30,460 students includes 24,594 undergraduates and 5,866 graduate and professional students. The University is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, its positive work environment, its student engagement, and its beautiful campus.
Auburn residents enjoy a thriving community, recognized as one of the “best small towns in America,” with moderate climate and easy access to major cities or to beach and mountain recreational facilities. Situated along the rapidly developing I-85 corridor between Atlanta, Georgia, and Montgomery, Alabama, the combined
Auburn-Opelika-Columbus statistical area has a population of over 500,000, with excellent public-school systems and regional medical centers.
Auburn University is understanding of and sensitive to the family needs of faculty, including dual- career couples. Additional information can be found on our website: http://www.auburn.edu/academic/provost/pdf/guidelines-dual-career-services.pdf.
- Master of Library and Information Science or equivalent from an ALA accredited program at the time employment begins.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: providing reference, instruction, collection development, or liaison services.
- 3 -5 years of professional experience in veterinary medical libraries and/or library services for the health sciences, or library services in other relevant fields.
- Demonstrated commitment to user-centered services for instruction, outreach programs and training as evidenced by examples from prior work experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong and effective written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently; evidence of ability to initiate and carry projects through to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute collegially and productively in a team environment.
- Potential to meet university promotion and tenure requirements for library faculty.
- Supervisory experience in veterinary medical or health science, including assigning work, managing personnel, and evaluating performance.
- Advanced degree or credentials in veterinary medicine, the health sciences, or other relevant fields.
- Demonstrated knowledge of commonly used research tools for data analysis in contemporary research.
- Commitment to excellence in information service and continuous learning to meet the ever-changing needs of a large research university.
- Knowledge of evidence-based practice.
- A record of professional, scholarly research activity.
- Membership in professional associations such as the Medical Library Association, etc.
Information and Application Process Instructions
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Application review process begins April 5, 2021 and will continue until a qualified candidate is selected and recommended for appointment. A complete application must include a letter of interest, resume or curriculum vitae, and the names of three current, professional references (please include mailing addresses, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers). The candidate selected for this position must be able to meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of employment. For questions, contact the search committee chair, George Stachokas at email@example.com.
Apply Here: https://www.auemployment.com/postings/21602
Auburn University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Auburn University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.UniversityJob.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...