The Florida State University School of Dance invites applications for a musician, artist, performer for a full-time tenure track, Assistant Professor of Dance. This position requires specialization in music theory, composition, and accompaniment for dance. The successful candidate will be a collaborative, collegial partner prepared to work with our current faculty and staff in preparing our students for success through an understanding of the integration of performance, scholarly, and creative activities and disciplines. Musicians with African diasporic percussionist experience are especially encouraged to apply.
The primary responsibilities include:
- Providing accompaniment and improvisation for major studio practice and technique classes spanning multiple dance genres (one to two classes per day/four days per week);
- Teaching or co-teaching one to two classes per semester. This position has historically taught “Rhythmic Analysis” and co-taught “Music and Choreography” for undergraduates. However, other required courses and electives could be created or revised dependent upon experience.
- Mentoring students, especially as a member of graduate committees.
- Service on professional, state, university, college, and school committees as assigned or elected.
- As a prominent research university, Florida State University expects faculty to establish, develop, and maintain a successful creative and research agenda. While we enjoy and expect some creative collaboration on school or university projects, there must be a strong focus on developing a national or international reputation within the field at large.
Required qualifications include:
- A terminal degree in dance or music from an accredited institution or equivalent professional experience and recognition.
- A successful history of accompaniment for dance classes at the professional or university level or equivalent experience.
Additional preferred qualifications include:
- A record of successful teaching at the university level.
- A record of creating musical compositions or soundscapes for dance works and films.
- A demonstrated ability in improvisation, collaboration, and experimentation.
- FSU is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf
- All applications must be submitted via the Florida State University Human Resources’ Omni portal, http://www.jobs.fsu.edu/
- Search for Job id#: 49808
- Applications must include a cover letter, curriculum vita, and a list of three references that we may contact if the application should move to the final consideration stage.
- The application deadline is Monday, November 1, 2021
- The university requires a criminal background check if the application is successful.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference universityjob.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Florida State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.universityjob.com